Friday, January 11, 2008

Latin Via Proverbs 160

I hope these notes will help you tackle this group of proverbs in Latin Via Proverbs. This group includes more sayings with first, second and third conjugation verbs.

Please note: to read the proverbs in Latin, you need to acquire a copy of the book from lulu.com! What I am providing here in the blog are notes to help people who are making their way through the book either in a Latin class or on their own. You can find more Study Guide material at the LatinViaProverbs.com wiki website.

Group 160

2052. Words teach, examples tug. (You can also find this saying in a variant form: Verba movent, exempla trahunt.)

2053. I put my trust in what I can see. (You can find this in Otto under the entry for oculus.)

2054. What I see for myself, I know for myself. (You can find this saying in Plautus.)

2055. I'm completely out of my mind if I try to please everybody. (Compare this rhyming proverb with other Latin sayings on this same theme, such as amicus omnibus, amicus nemini, etc.)

2056. The person who has got lots, wants to get more. (There are many variants on this saying, for example: homines, quo plura habent, eo ampliora cupiunt.)

2057. A good shepherd shears the sheep, he does not flay them. (You can find this cited by Suetonius.)

2058. Life is not living, but being well. (You will find this saying in Martial.)

2059. The person who seeks high places must be careful of crashing down. (The saying is cited by Tosi, 987.)

2060. It's very easy to something, but to accomplish the job is hard work. (This is a medieval saying, cited by Tosi, 24, following Walther 5590.)

2061. In doubtful matters it is better to be silent than to speak. (You can find this saying in Albertanus of Brescia.)

2062. You should not wound a friend, not even in jest. (You can find this in Publilius Syrus).

2063. It is not proper to strive against god. (Compare the entry in Erasmus's Adagia, Cum diis non pugnandum, 3.9.22.)


This blog post is part of an evolving Study Guide for users of the book Latin Via Proverbs.

Keep up with the latest posts... Subscribe by Email. I also post a daily round-up of all the Bestiaria Latina blogs: fables, proverbs, crosswords, and audio.

No comments: