Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Latin Via Proverbs 166

I hope these notes will help you tackle this group of proverbs in Latin Via Proverbs. This group includes more sayings with fourth conjugation verbs.

Please note: to read the proverbs in Latin, you need to acquire a copy of the book from lulu.com! What I am providing here in the blog are notes to help people who are making their way through the book either in a Latin class or on their own. You can find more Study Guide material at the LatinViaProverbs.com wiki website.

Group 166

2135. I obey; I do not serve. (This is a popular family motto.)

2136. I listen, but am silent. (This too is a family motto.)

2137. I know nothing except that I know not. (You can find this phrase in Plautus.)

2138. This one thing I know: I know nothing. (This is sometimes known as the "Socratic Ignorance Paradox." You can find it in many forms in Latin: Unum scio me nihil scire, etc.)

2139. You are sleeping, and time is walking. (This saying is attributed to Saint Ambrose. You can also find it in this form: Tu enim dormis, et tempus tuum ambulat. The relevant Biblical passage is Ephesians: surge qui dormis.)

2140. You see the time; you do not know yours. (This is another Latin sundial inscription.)

2141. You do not know the day nor the hour. (This is from the Gospel of Matthew: Vigilate itaque quia nescitis diem neque horam.)

2142. They all wound; the last one kills. (This proverb is like a riddle: the missing word is hora. I saw this inscribed on the city clock in Conegliano, Itay.)

2143. The bolts of lightning strike the high mountains. (You can find this saying in Horace.)

2144. Many people understand many things and do not know themselves. (This saying of Saint Bernard makes an appearance in Piers Plowman.)

2145. Joys come after sorrows; after joys, sorrows. (This is an epigram of John Owen: Gaudia post luctus veniunt, post gaudia luctus. / Semper in ambiguo, speve metuve, sumus.)


This blog post is part of an evolving Study Guide for users of the book Latin Via Proverbs.

Keep up with the latest posts... Subscribe by Email. I also post a daily round-up of all the Bestiaria Latina blogs: fables, proverbs, crosswords, and audio.

No comments: